A federal judge blocked the Trump administration’s FBI headquarters move to the Ronald Reagan Building.
Why it matters: The ruling keeps alive a fight over federal real estate, FBI operations and who controls the bureau’s future home. It also revives a politically charged dispute that has drawn scrutiny from Maryland officials and Congress.
- U.S. District Judge Theodore D. Chuang issued the order on Aug. 17, 2026.
- The ruling blocks the administration from moving FBI headquarters into the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C.
- The court found the reversal from the previously selected Greenbelt, Maryland site was not in accordance with law.
- Maryland and Prince George’s County sued in November 2025 over the Reagan Building decision and the use of funds.
A federal judge on Aug. 17 blocked the Trump administration from moving FBI headquarters to the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, halting the relocation plan while the case continues. The order from U.S. District Judge Theodore D. Chuang keeps the long-running headquarters fight in litigation. AP
The court found the administration’s reversal of the earlier Greenbelt, Maryland selection was not in accordance with law and barred the use of funds to carry out the Reagan Building move. Maryland and Prince George’s County sued in November 2025, arguing the new selection and fund diversion conflicted with Congress’s site-selection directives. Complaint
The FBI and GSA announced on July 1, 2025, that the Ronald Reagan Building complex would become FBI headquarters, saying the move would use an existing federal property and save taxpayer money. GSA’s FY2025 prospectus estimated the renovation at $844 million and said the project would consolidate about 6,000 headquarters personnel now split between the J. Edgar Hoover Building and six leased sites. FBI GSA prospectus
Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown said in February that the state sought a court order to permanently block the Reagan Building plan and restore Greenbelt as the selected site. Sen. Chris Van Hollen separately said the administration was trying to redirect funding intended for Greenbelt to permanently relocate the FBI to the Reagan Building. Brown statement Van Hollen statement
By the numbers
- $844 million - GSA's FY2025 estimated cost for the Reagan Building renovation
- About 6,000 - FBI headquarters personnel the project would consolidate
- 6 - leased sites the headquarters move would replace
Yes, but: The exact injunction language and reasoning were not available in the source packet, and the case could still change on appeal or in later court orders.
What's next: The case continues in court; no appeal deadline or next hearing date was provided in the dossier.