Jannik Sinner withdrew from the 2026 U.S. Open on Friday because of a right knee injury.
Why it matters: Sinner’s exit reshapes one of tennis’ marquee tournaments and removes a top draw for New York. It also affects the men’s field just days before the main draw begins.
- Sinner said he and his medical team decided he could not compete after testing his recovery in Monte Carlo.
- The U.S. Open main draw is set to begin Aug. 30.
- He also skipped the Montreal and Cincinnati tuneup events after winning Wimbledon in July 2026.
- AP reported this will be the first Grand Slam tournament Sinner has missed since his major debut at the 2019 U.S. Open.
Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdrew from the 2026 U.S. Open on Friday, Aug. 21, saying he could not recover in time from a right knee injury. In a post on X, Sinner said he and his medical team made the decision after testing his recovery on court in Monte Carlo. AP reported the withdrawal.
Sinner said, "Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year." He added, "We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue."
The U.S. Open main draw is scheduled to begin Aug. 30. Sinner had already pulled out of the Montreal and Cincinnati hard-court tuneup events after winning Wimbledon in July 2026. The ATP Tour also reported his Cincinnati withdrawal on Aug. 9, giving earlier confirmation of the knee problem. ATP Tour coverage.
AP said this will be the first Grand Slam tournament Sinner has missed since making his major debut at the 2019 U.S. Open. On the other side of the men’s draw, the U.S. Open’s official site said Carlos Alcaraz would defend his title in New York after returning from a wrist injury. U.S. Open official site
By the numbers
- Aug. 21, 2026 - Date Sinner withdrew from the U.S. Open
- Aug. 30, 2026 - Date the U.S. Open main draw is scheduled to start
- 2019 - Year of Sinner’s major debut at the U.S. Open
Yes, but: The sources do not give a medical diagnosis, recovery timeline, or the exact draw implications for Sinner’s replacement.
What's next: The U.S. Open main draw begins Aug. 30, with tournament officials expected to finalize the men’s draw and replacement procedures before play starts.