Prosecutors say Duane Davis planned Tupac Shakur's killing in retaliation for a 1996 beating.
Why it matters: The Las Vegas trial is shifting the focus from the shooting itself to motive, planning and alleged admissions. The case remains one of hip-hop's most watched long-running murder proceedings, with testimony that could shape how jurors view Davis's role.
- Clark County prosecutors told jurors on Aug. 17 that Duane 'Keffe D' Davis planned the killing.
- They say the motive was retaliation for the beating of Davis' nephew, Orlando Anderson, outside the MGM Grand on Sept. 7, 1996.
- Davis is charged with one count of murder with a deadly weapon with intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang.
- A 16-person jury was selected Aug. 13, and opening statements began Aug. 17.
Prosecutors in Las Vegas used opening statements in Duane Davis's murder trial to present a revenge theory for Tupac Shakur's 1996 killing. Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors, "Let's be clear, Duane Davis did not pull the trigger. But he did plan the shooting in retaliation of the beating of his nephew."
Palal said Davis "spent the next two hours planning how to get even," according to the prosecution. The state says Davis made the calls that led to the killing and provided the gun, while not accusing him of firing the shots himself. AP reported prosecutors also played audio of Davis describing handing a gun to men in the Cadillac.
The case is being tried in Clark County, Nevada. Davis, 63, has pleaded not guilty to one count of murder with a deadly weapon with intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He faces life in prison if convicted.
The shooting took place on Sept. 7, 1996, after a fight involving Shakur, Marion "Suge" Knight and a group that included Orlando Anderson. Shakur died six days later. The prosecution has also sought to use Davis's 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend, and a recorded 2008 police interview as evidence, and a judge ruled both can be used at trial. AP reported that ruling earlier this year.
A 16-person jury was selected Aug. 13, and opening statements began Aug. 17. Defense counsel has called the prosecution's account "fiction" as the trial gets underway. AP reported
By the numbers
- 1996 - Year Tupac Shakur was shot in Las Vegas
- 16 - People on the jury selected for the trial
- 63 - Davis's age
Yes, but: Prosecutors say Davis planned the killing, but they do not accuse him of firing the shots.
What's next: The trial continues in Clark County, with witness testimony and evidence presentation expected to test the prosecution's motive theory.